By Edward Page, Business Woman Media
When you come across a strong woman, you’ll know it the moment she enters the room. She gives off a vibe of self-confidence that anyone could spot from a mile away, and she tackles any situation she faces head-on. She might stumble and fall along the path to success, but she never gives up. She perseveres through the storms life tosses at her and doesn’t allow a little rain to take away her sunshine. She knows what she wants in life, goes after it, and doesn’t depend on anyone else for what she wants. She stands out because she doesn’t need attention or validation from anyone. Her self-confidence, drive, and ambition come from within, and she’s certainly a force to be reckoned with.
Now, does this sound a little familiar? It's us. Women over 40 and how many of us feel today - powerful, independent, self-assured and ready to conquer the world. So what's stopping us? Ourselves. Unless we put the effort each and every day to do things differently.
1. She invests in herself. A powerful woman takes the time to invest in herself, be it her health and beauty or her education. She takes the time to make sure that she’s fit, healthy, and beautiful inside and out.
She understands that if she wants to further her career, she needs to be educated and trained in her chosen field. Personality and professional development is a non-stop pursuit for her. She knows that complacency will hinder her growth and would continuously find ways to better herself.
2. She does not depend on anyone. Being dependent on another person can be considered a weakness and a deterrent to personal success. A powerful woman makes sure that she can stand on her own two feet, and goes after her goals through her own perseverance. It’s as simple as setting goals, figuring out how to achieve them, and doing it.
She knows that by being independent, she’s virtually unstoppable. She can do anything with her own abilities that she carefully honed through years of determination and perseverance.
3. She doesn’t let herself become a victim. A strong woman knows that complaining is a waste of time. She knows that when problems and issues arise, it’s more efficient to find solutions than to feel defeated and betrayed.
She doesn’t let herself become the victim. She rises above the challenge and fights to get what she needs and goes where she wants.
4. She takes risks. A strong woman knows that success cannot be achieved without taking risks. She knows that she needs to stop playing it safe occasionally. However, this doesn’t mean that they make reckless decisions. Strong women take carefully calculated risks.
According to Sheryl Sandberg, author of thebestseller “Lean In,” women should ask themselves – “what would you do if you weren’t afraid?” This will then affect change in all aspects of their lives.
5. She uplifts the people around her. A powerful woman doesn’t need to put people down to get up on the ladder. To her, it’s not about getting ahead of other people – it’s about bringing them WITH her to the top.
So, when she sees somebody who needs help, she readily gives it. And when someone in her team under-performs, she finds a way to uplift them and encourage them to reach their full potential instead of talking them down.
6. She’s not afraid to ask for help. A powerful woman recognizes that she cannot do everything well on her own and knows when and how to ask for help. When something is outside her field of expertise, she will find someone to work with who can contribute to the goals and objectives she set. She understands that no one can reach the top alone and that working with a team can make success all the sweeter.
7. She knows that failure is part of the game. While a powerful woman has firm beliefs and principles she upholds, she keeps an open mind and adapts to changes as best she can. She understands that change is the only constant thing in this world, and thus, uses it to her advantage by learning every step of the way – from the world and other people around her.
Strength comes from within.
For powerful women, the road to success is always fraught with difficulties, but strong women rise above challenges and fight like warriors for what they believe in, and what they want in life.
You can be a strong, powerful woman, too. Find the strength within you and ask yourself what you would do if you weren’t afraid. Determine what you want to achieve in your business, career or personal life, and go for it!